The steps for upgrading to the latest release of SmarterMail from an older version of the application vary depending on which version you are upgrading from. These instructions are for upgrading from a previous major version release, such as moving from 16.x to the Current Build (which is referenced on the Downloads page of the website as Build XXXX (Release Date)), moving from 13.x to 16.x, or even upgrading all the way from 5.x to the Current Build.
For instructions on how to upgrade to a release on the same major version, such as upgrading from Build 6911 to Build 6928, or upgrading from 16.0 to 16.1, please refer to the knowledge base article -- Minor Upgrade of SmarterMail.
- Due to significant backend changes, it is not possible to roll back to an older version after installing the Current Build or version 7.x.
- All configuration data and emails are preserved when upgrading from a previous major release.
- Before following the instructions in this article, make sure the appropriate Microsoft .NET Framework is installed for the version to which you will be upgrading, based on the version's System Requirements.
- Due to file structure changes that are in SmarterMail 7.x, upgrading from an earlier version to version 7.x or higher can take up to several hours, based on the amount of data.
Follow these steps to perform a major version upgrade:
Back up your SmarterMail installation and data.
If you are running SmarterMail as an IIS site, stop the SmarterMail site. Stop the associated application pool as well.
Uninstall SmarterMail from the Add or Remove Programs control panel. This is an important step in performing a major upgrade that should NOT be skipped. Failure to uninstall the program will result in corrupted data. All configuration data and email will be preserved after uninstalling the program file.
Run the SmarterMail installer.
During the installation process, you will be prompted for the installation path. In order to keep existing data and settings, install to the same path used in previous installs. For reference, the default installation location is C:\Program Files (x86)\SmarterTools\SmarterMail.
If you were running with an activated license key, you will need to activate again using a license key that is valid for the version you upgraded to. For more information regarding activation within the product, refer to: Activate SmarterMail
Choose to use the same IIS site for that was used previously. If IIS was not previously configured, create a new site. (NOTE: An IIS site is required in order to access the SmarterMail web interface. An IIS site can be configured after installation; however, you will not be able to access the setup wizard or web interface in the meantime. If you choose to configure the site later, you can access the IIS Configuration Tool by navigating to its default location at C:\Program Files (x86)\SmarterTools\SmarterMail\IIS Tool.)
- If you are running SmarterMail as an IIS site, IF NEEDED, change the .NET version of the Application Pool to .NET 4.0 and restart IIS.
In some cases you may need to reconfigure your spam settings, as those can change from version to version.