If you're not given the option to add an Exchange account, it could be due to a change that Microsoft made in the 16.0.8431.2079 (and above) release of Outlook in September, 2016. This change introduced Microsoft's "Simplified Account Creation" process that bypasses the ability to set up non-Microsoft Office365 accounts in Outlook. For information on the workaround for this, see the article: Enable EAS/Exchange Accounts in Outlook 2016
Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync (EAS) is a data synchronization protocol that uses push technology to sync email, calendars and contacts (and tasks and notes on supported devices) to Outlook 2013 and 2016 for Windows and a variety of mobile phones and tablets, including Android, iOS, and Windows devices.
Notes for Users
To utilize an Exchange ActiveSync connection, your SmarterMail account must first be assigned an ActiveSync mailbox. In addition, SmarterTools does not manage any hosted SmarterMail services. Therefore, we cannot provide the unique server settings for your account. If you are not sure what to enter for the connection settings or if your connection fails, please contact the administrator/hosting provider of your SmarterMail account to verify the server's ActiveSync setup and mailbox assignment.
Follow these steps to sync SmarterMail to Outlook 2013/2016 using ActiveSync:
- Open Outlook 2013 or Outlook 2016.
- If an account has not yet been configured, Outlook will prompt the account setup when opened. If an account already exists, Outlook will open as expected. Click on the File tab, then Add Account.
- Select Manual setup or additional server types and click Next.
- On the Choose Service page, select Outlook.com or Exchange ActiveSync compatible service and click Next.
- Enter the following details:
- Your Name - The display name that will be shown on emails you send.
- Email Address - Your full SmarterMail email address (ex: email@example.com).
- Mail server - The address of the mail server. This typically takes the form of "mail.domain.com" or "webmail.domain.com". You may need to contact your SmarterMail administrator to learn the specific format used.
- User Name - Your full SmarterMail email address (ex: firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Password - The password used with your SmarterMail account.
- Click Next.
- (If Autodiscover is configured for the SmarterMail installation, a window will appear to confirm whether the website should be allowed to configure your account server settings. Click Allow.)
- Outlook will test your account settings. If the connection is successful, a popup window will show a status of Completed. Click Close, and then click Finish to complete the setup. Outlook will will open and begin importing the SmarterMail mailbox. (If the test connection results in errors, please contact the administrator of your SmarterMail account. They may need to provide the server's unique settings, assign ActiveSync to the account or troubleshoot the connection failure using the SmarterMail logs.)
Notes for Administrators
In order for end users to configure an Exchange connection, their SmarterMail account must first be assigned an ActiveSync mailbox. For more information on assigning ActiveSync, refer to Configure Exchange ActiveSync for Email Accounts
. In addition, Outlook 2013 and Outlook 2016 require an SSL connection for ActiveSync accounts. For more information on using SSL/TLS with SmarterMail, refer to Configure SSL/TLS to Secure SmarterMail