Message archiving is a method of storing all email traffic for a domain -- either incoming messages, outgoing messages or both -- in a separate location on the mail server. When enabled, messages are automatically archived as soon as they hit the spool and before they are handled by any spam and/or content filters. This means that all
messages are archived, not simply those that are delivered to a user's mailbox. On a nightly basis, SmarterMail zips up archived messages and stores them to conserve disk space on the mail server. (Zipped messages are still searchable. For more information on searching the archive, see the KB Using Message Archive Search
Follow the steps below to enable message archiving:
- Log into SmarterMail as a System Administrator.
- Click on the Settings icon from the menu at the top.
- In the menu on the left, click Message Archiving.
- Click New in the content pane toolbar. The archive settings will load in a modal window.
- For the Domain field, select 'All Domains' or choose a specific domain from the list. NOTE: If 'All Domains' is selected, only the System Administrator will have access to search the message archive. If domain administrators should have access to search their own domain's archive, an individual rule for that domain must be created in addition to the rule for all domains.
- For the Archive Path, enter the directory on the hard drive in which archived messages should be saved, such as c:\SmarterMail\Archive\.(If you change directories at any time, a reboot of the server may be necessary for the change to take effect.)
- Choose the appropriate Rule from the dropdown list to choose which messages should be archived: All, Incoming or Outgoing.
- Click Save.
NOTE: Archives are not deleted by SmarterMail and, as a result, can get very large. Be sure to check your archive folders regularly to see if they should be backed up and removed from the hard drive.