NOTE: This article is only for experienced system administrators. It is intended as a temporary workaround for mailboxes that experience indexing issues, causing an increase in a system's CPU and/or RAM usage. Ideally it should only be implemented by a SmarterTools Support Representative for troubleshooting issues or for edge cases where high CPU and Memory issues are being diagnosed.
- Stop the SmarterMail service.
- To disable indexing for an individual mailbox, you first need to locate the userConfig.xml file. The default folder path is C:\SmarterMail\Domains\[domain name]\Users\[username].
- Open the userConfig.xml file and look for the line that begins with "enableIndexing." This should be set to "False" for the user to disable indexing for their mailbox.
- If "enableIndexing" isn't in the user's configuration, you will simply need to open SmarterMail, go to that user's account, save any Settings page, and that setting should now be available in the user's configuration.
- Save the changed userConfig.xml file, and re-start the SmarterMail service. Indexing should now be stopped for that user.