The steps for upgrading to SmarterStats 11.x from an older version of the application vary depending on which version you are upgrading from. For more information on upgrading from a previous 11.x release refer to the knowledge base article Minor Upgrade of SmarterStats.
NOTE: When upgrading SmarterStats you may notice a difference in statistics. Please refer to this knowledge base article for more information Differences in Reported Numbers Between SmarterStats Versions.
NOTE: If you're utilizing UNC paths in your SmarterStats environment for log collection that have folder permission restrictions in place, please take note of the account that the SmarterStats collection service is running under within the Windows Services console. When performing the uninstall\reinstall the SmarterStats service is re-registered and will be running under the local system account. This will need to be reset, otherwise access to the UNC paths may become unavailable and prompt the site with a permissions error.
In addition, before following the instructions in this article, make sure the appropriate Microsoft .NET Framework is installed for the version to which you will be upgrading, based on the version's System Requirements. (Versions 11.x and newer require the .NET 4.5 Framework.)
Follow these steps to upgrade to the latest version of SmarterStats if you are upgrading from a previous version (such as 10.x or 9.x):
- Back up your SmarterStats installation and data.
- Alter the IIS configuration by making a new application pool:
- In IIS, view the Application Pools listing. Then right-click and select Add Application Pool.
- In the Name field, type the name of the application pool.
- In the .NET Version field, select the appropriate .NET Framework from the list.
- Click OK.
- Select the SmarterStats website.
- In the Actions panel, click Basic Settings.
- Click Select. A list of available application pools will display.
- Select the application pool that was just created and click OK.
- Uninstall SmarterStats. This is an important step in performing a major upgrade that should not be skipped. All configuration data and sites will be preserved.
- Download the latest automated installer from the SmarterStats Download page.
- If you are running SmarterStats as an IIS site, stop IIS.
- Run the SmarterStats installer.
- During the installation process you will be prompted for the installation path. Installation along the existing path. (The default installation location is C:\Program Files\SmarterTools\SmarterStats.)
- If you are running SmarterStats as an IIS site, restart IIS.
- The Setup Wizard will automatically run. You will need to provide the license key.
When downgrading from SmarterStats 11.x (for example, to SmarterStats 10.x or 9.x), some settings will be lost or changed. For this reason, it is very important to create a backup of your SmarterStats installation prior to upgrading to SmarterStats 11.x. For instructions on backing up SmarterStats, please refer to the knowledge base article, Back Up and Restore SmarterStats.
Learn more about how SmarterStats can help you make sense of your website analytics.
Learn more about SmarterStats, one of the best Google Analytics alternatives.