Domain administrators can add new SmarterMail users from the active directory using the LDAP protocol. This feature can be used to save time and is very useful when importing multiple users from an already existing LDAP database such as active directory.
NOTE: This feature needs to be enabled for the domain before it can be configured on domains. Furthermore, LDAP integration will only function if SmarterMail is on the same domain as the LDAP server you are trying to connect to. For instructions on how to enable LDAP, please refer to the KB article Enable LDAP for Domains.
Follow these steps to import new users using LDAP:
- Log into SmarterMail as the domain administrator.
- Click on the Domain Settings icon.
- When the domain settings load, click on Accounts from the tree menu. All existing accounts will load in the content pane.
- Click the Actions (...) button.
- From the dropdown menu, click Import from LDAP. A modal will appear.
- Input the location of your active directory users via the LDAP binding string. An example LDAP string might look like this: LDAP://testdomain.local/CN=Users,OU=Company,DC=testdomain,DC=local
- If you want to use the LDAP email address as the username for the imported accounts, turn that toggle ON.
- Click List Users.
- Select the users you wish to import into the domain. NOTE: If any users, aliases or mailing lists already exist in SmarterMail they will not show up in the LDAP list.
- Click Import to begin the import process.