SmarterMail has a built-in chat feature that allows users in the same domain to communicate with each other over instant message. All chat histories are saved and comply with most regulatory requirements like SOX and HIPAA. NOTE: The chat feature will not work with the default Web Server that comes with SmarterMail. To use the chat feature, the SmarterMail installation must be deployed as an IIS site. For more information, refer to the KB article Set up SmarterMail as an IIS Site (IIS 7.0). In addition, you may need to ensure port 5222 is open for chat to function.
Enabling Chat for an Individual Domain
Follow these steps to enable or disable chat for an individual domain:
- Log in to SmarterMail as the system administrator.
- Click on the Manage icon.
- Select the desired domain.The domain settings will load in a new window.
- On the Features card, switch the Chat (XMPP) toggle to ON.
- Click Save.
The SmarterMail domain is now enabled for chats. As an aside, XMPP can be set up as a domain default and then propagated to all domains or enabled for any new domains added to the server.
Enabling Chat for an User
Follow these steps to enable or disable chat for a specific user:
- Log in to SmarterMail as the domain administrator.
- Click on Domain Settings.
- Select Accounts from the menu on the left. A listing of domain accounts will load in the content pane.
- Select the desired user. The user settings will load in the content pane.
- On the Service Access card, switch the Chat (XMPP) toggle to ON.
- Select Save.
For more information, please refer to the SmarterMail Online Help