A catch-all alias is an alias that will catch any incoming email sent to an invalid address on a domain. Instead of bouncing the message back to the sender, the message will be stored in the mailbox that is assigned to the catch-all alias. (A catch-all acts as any other user alias, so once it's created, an account has to be assigned to it.)
If you find that customers frequently send emails to accounts that do not exist, setting up a catch-all alias may be beneficial. However, the use of a catch-all alias has the disadvantage of allowing spammers to send unwanted messages to random addresses, which can stress the mail server and affect performance.
Enabling a Catch-all Alias
To enable a catch-all alias for a domain in SmarterMail, follow these directions:
- Log in to SmarterMail as the system administrator.
- Click on the Manage icon.
- Click the desired domain to open the domain's settings.
- On the Features card, switch the Catch-All Alias toggle to ON.
- Click the Save button to apply the changes.
Assigning a Catch-all Alias to a Mailbox
Then you (or the domain administrator) will need to create a catch-all alias for the domain and assign it to a specific mailbox. To do so, follow these steps:
- Log in to SmarterMail as the domain administrator.
- Click the Settings icon, then select Domain Settings from the menu toolbar.
- Select Accounts from the menu on the left. Now click the Aliases tab at the top.
- Click New to add the new catch-all alias.
- Give the alias a name indicating this is a catch-all account. In the Email Addresses (one per line) textbox, enter at least one email address of a user on the domain. (This user will receive all catch-all messages sent to this alias.) Fill in any other desired options.
- Switch the Use as domain catch-all toggle to ON.
- Click Save.
NOTE: It is important to never set an auto-responder on an email account that the catch-all forwards to, as it may result in backscatter. This can cause your domain to be blacklisted. In addition, additional bandwidth usage will result. If you do not see the option for adding a catch-all, please contact your system administrator as they may have disabled the option.
For more information, please refer to the SmarterMail Online Help.