There are two types of custom fields: Those entered by Users when starting a ticket or live chat, and those used by Agents to attach additional information to a ticket or live chat. Examples of User-related custom fields include issue type, contact information or product ID. Examples of Agent-related custom fields are varied. For example, a Manager in the Sales Department may create a custom field that identifies whether a customer inquiry is a potential sales opportunity. Since Agent-related information is only collected for internal use, these custom fields should be configured so that only Agents can access them and add the custom field data. Below, we cover how to create these latter fields.
Follow these steps to create a custom field for Agent use only:
- Log in to the SmarterTrack management interface as a System Administrator.
- Click the Menu icon, and from the dropdown menu, select Settings.
- Under the Configuration header, click Custom Fields. A list of available field definitions will load in the content pane.
- To create a new custom field, click the Add button.
- Complete the following required fields: Field Name, Applies To, and Data Type. Enter a Default Value, if desired.
- Click OK.
Once the custom field is created, it will need to be applied to the templates used for tickets or live chats. That way, the field is available to Agents when they're working in those areas. The nice thing is, editing templates is simple as they're along side the custom fields...
- Click on the Templates tab. A list of existing templates will load in the content pane.
- Select the desired template and click Edit. (Alternatively, you can double click on a template to open its settings in a pop up window.)
- Click the Field Definitions tab. If fields are already part of the template you're editing, they'll be displayed here.
- To add your new custom field, click the Add button. A modal window will open.
- Select the appropriate custom field from the list.
- To make this custom field visible only to Agents, select Agents from the Visibility drop down list. All other settings are optional.
- Click Save to preserve the field definition settings.
- Click Save again to save the template changes.
That's all you need to do. Moving forward, that custom field will be part of the template you edited, so Agents can add any additional information needed.
For more information, please refer to the SmarterTrack Online Help.
Learn more about SmarterTrack’s email ticket system and how it will help you improve your customer service.