Every person who uses SmarterTrack, whether they're an end user or Agent, is assigned a role. Roles define permissions and dictate which features the user or Agent has access to. By default, SmarterTrack has several predefined roles. In addition, System Administrators can create custom roles that further define a user's ability to view reports, delete tickets, create knowledge base articles, etc. NOTE: For information on assigning Roles to Employees or Users, please refer to the KB article Assign Roles to Employees or Users.
Follow these steps to create a custom Role that can be applied to an Agent or User:
- Log into the SmarterTrack Management Interface as a System Administrator.
- Click on the Settings icon.
- Under the Manage header, click Roles. Here, all of SmarterTrack's default Roles are displayed.
- To create a new one, click on the New button.
- The Role options will open in the content pane. Here, you'll add a Role Name, and select whether the Role you're creating will be for a User or Employee.
- Next, you'll create the permissions you want for various areas, which depend on whether you're creating a User or Employee Role. Employee Roles have a larger number of permissions as they touch every part of the SmarterTrack Management Interface.
- There are default permissions set for each area. However, to change the permissions, simply click the dropdown next to the permission type. For example, KB Articles for a basic User Role default to Read Only. Clicking Read Only offers up: Read Only, None, Custom.
- If you select the Custom permission level, the KB Articles tab activates. Clicking on the tab opens up all of the various KB folders that are currently in SmarterTrack, and you can set permissions for each to fully customize that Role's access to those KB articles.
- Once you've set the permissions for your new Role, click the Save button.
There you have it: you've created a new Role that can be used for your Users or Employees.
In addition to creating custom Roles, it's also possible to edit existing Roles to add or remove permissions for the Role. To do that:
- First. log in to SmarterTrack as a System Administrator.
- Click the Menu icon and in the dropdown, select Settings.
- Under the Manage header, click Roles. Here, all of SmarterTrack's Roles are displayed.
- To edit one, click on it and click the Edit button. (Alternatively, you can double click on the Role to open it.)
- Initially, the Options tab will open. Here, you'll see the Role's options and the permissions currently set for each area covered by the Role.
- To edit a permission, simply click the dropdown menu next to the permission area, such as KB Arcticles, Tickets, etc. (Permission areas are set by whether the Role is a User or an Employee Role.)
- Once you've made the necessary adjustments, click the Save button.
Learn more about the SmarterTrack online help desk and how you can improve your overall customer service.