NOTE: This article assumes that you are using IIS for SmarterTrack, and not the SmarterTrack default web server. For more information about host headers in IIS, refer to the IIS documentation.
SmarterTrack uses host headers to identify which Brand is displayed in the portal. In general, a host header allows users to access different Brands by inputting in a name instead of an IP address. (I.e., https://support.your-company.com versus https://111.222.333.4) If you wish to use SmarterTrack's branding feature, you must set up a host header for each branded site.
First, configure "A" records on the DNS server to associate the website name (e.g., support.yourdomain.com) with the IP address that IIS is listening on for connections to SmarterTrack. One "A" record is required for each domain served by SmarterTrack. For example, support.domain1.com, support.domain2.com, etc.
Creating host headers for brands is a two-part process which involves setting a host header in an existing IIS site and adding a host header to the SmarterTrack brand settings.
Setting a host header in an existing IIS site
- From your server, open the IIS Manager Snap-in.
- Expand the Websites folder.
- Right-click on the website and select Properties.
- Click the Advanced button.
- Click Add.
- Enter the IP, port, and host header value. Then click OK.
- Click OK.
- Click Close.
Adding a host header for a brand in SmarterTrack
- Log in to SmarterTrack as a System Administrator.
- Click the Menu icon, and from the dropdown select Settings.
- Under the Manage header, click Brands. A list of available Brands will load in the content pane.
- Select the desired Brand you want to add the host header for and click Edit. (Alternatively, you can double click the brand to open its settings in the content pane.)
- Click the Options tab.
- Type the appropriate host header(s) in the field. NOTE: Host headers cannot be edited for the default Brand.
- Click Save.
Once you have your host headers configured in IIS AND in SmarterTrack, users can access your customer-facing portal using a customized URL, based on the brands you have set up in SmarterTrack.
For more information, please refer to the Brands page of the SmarterTrack Online Help.
Learn more about SmarterTrack’s helpdesk system, which includes live chat, a self service portal and knowledge base software.