This article explains how to set up SmarterStats as a virtual directory under an existing IIS site. NOTE: This is not recommended. While SmarterStats will function properly, SmarterTools recommends setting up SmarterStats as its own IIS site instead.
The instructions for setting up SmarterStats as a virtual directory under an existing IIS site differ slightly depending on whether you are using IIS 6.0 or IIS 7.0. Only the instructions for IIS 6.0 are described below.
Applies to SmarterStats 6.x-10.x
An overview of the instructions are:
- Disable the SmarterStats Web server
- Add SmarterStats to IIS
- Verify IIS Settings
- Update DNS
- Test the site
Disable the SmarterStats Web Server
These steps will stop and disable the Web server included with SmarterStats. They will also have the side-effect of disabling the shortcut to SmarterStats on your desktop until you update it with the new URL for SmarterStats.
- Click on Start --> Program Files --> SmarterStats
- Click Web Server Config.
- Click Stop.
- Change the Startup Mode to Disabled and click Apply.
- Click Close.
Add SmarterStats to an IIS Site
- Click on Start --> Control Panel --> Administrative Tools -->Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager.
- Open up the Web Sites tree and locate the site under which you want to place SmarterStats.
- Right-click on the web site and choose New --> Virtual Directory.
- When asked for an Alias, enter SmarterStats, or another name. This will be used in the URL to get to the SmarterStats Web interface, as in http://www.example.com/SmarterStats.
- For the physical path, browse to the SmarterStats\MRS folder. The default location is: C:\Program Files\SmarterTools\SmarterStats\MRS.
- When asked what permissions to grant, choose only Read and Run Scripts.
- Finish the Wizard.
Verify IIS Settings
- If you are using Windows 2003, verify that ASP .NET v4.0.30319 Web Service Extension is set to Allowed in IIS. If you do not see ASP .NET under Web Service Extensions, ensure that ASP .NET is enabled in the Application Server. You can do this by going to: Control Panel --> Add/Remove Programs --> Windows Components --> Application Server --> Details.
- Ensure that the default document for the site is Default.aspx (under the Documents tab).
If any domains are already set up with SmarterStats, make sure to update their DNS records to point to the new IP address.
Test the site
Open up your browser and type in the URL of the virtual directory (ex. http://www.example.com/virtual directory).
For more information, please refer to the Running as an IIS Site section of the SmarterStats Online Help.
Learn more about how SmarterStats can help you better understand your website analytics.