Unable to Connect IMAP/SMTP with Microsoft Outlook on Android Mobile
Problem reported by Ronald Raley - 7/31/2020 at 11:01 AM
Submitted
This used to work fine.  It seems initially setting up the account is the issue.  I have looked in SmarterMail AutoDiscover logs and found:

[2020.07.31] 04:06:17.792 [52.125.136.0]Empty mobile xml response for email [ronraley@xxxxxxxxxx.com].  Client is making an mobile request and the server may not be licensed for EAS.

However, EAS is not required to use IMAP, POP, or SMTP.

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks - Ron

4 Replies

Reply to Thread
0
Nathan Y Replied
We are not encountering this issue but we cannot get Outlook for Android to authenticate using IMAP/SMTP - it fails. Other posts suggest it is an issue with Outlook for Android attempting NTLM authentication.
0
Sébastien Riccio Replied
Last time I've checked IMAP/SMTP was ok on Outlook Android, since ST had disabled NTLM.

I wanted to try it again now but Outlooks Android wants absolutely to configure the account as Exchange (I have disabled EAS and all autodiscovery stuff except for IMAP and SMTP).

But it looks that Outlook doesn't event lookup autodiscovery as I see no entries in the log. I think there is some caching of audoscovery settings on some Microsoft servers and that Outlook use these.

I also can't find an option in  Outlook to set the account type to simple IMAP/SMTP. It automatically goes in exchange mode... :/
Sébastien Riccio
System & Network Admin

0
Ronald Raley Replied
This started happening for us after we followed the instructions to setup Autodiscover for MAPI.
1
Ronald Raley Replied
Follow-up.  Yesterday, Microsoft pushed an update to Outlook Mobile on Android.

Now, I am able to successfully add an account without needing to configure incoming/outgoing settings (IMAP/SMTP).  However, I had to click through an "unsecure" prompt.  Sending and receiving e-mail tests worked fine.

Our Autodiscover log entries:
[2020.08.09] 18:32:27.546 [52.125.136.0]Header: X-AnchorMailbox - xxxxxxxx@xxxx.com
[2020.08.09] 18:32:27.546 [52.125.136.0]Creating AutoDiscoverProcessor from User-Agent  with X-MapiHttpCapability 0 and X-AnchorMailbox xxxxxxxx@xxxx.com and X-UserIdentity
[2020.08.09]             <EMailAddress>xxxxxxxx@xxxx.com</EMailAddress>
[2020.08.09] 18:32:27.562 [52.125.136.0]Empty mobile xml response for email [xxxxxxxx@xxxx.com].  Client is making an mobile request and the server may not be licensed for EAS.

Note, my local IP address is NOT 52.125.136.0.  Microsoft servers are pulling the strings during initial setup.

Thanks,
Ron

Reply to Thread