I can confirm the "new user issue". I've decided to postpone the upgrade of our production rig and installed it on your testing environement.
- Adding a user returns a "Failed to add user" red toaster.
- Trying again to add the same user returns a "User already exists" red toaster.
- Still the user doesn't appear in the accounts list and the "already existing" user cannot be used (can't login on any service with it)
- A domain reload makes the user appear and usable
It's a no go for our production rig upgrade as the issue is probably the same when adding users from our control panel through the API (as the admin web interface uses the api too).
I've re-read the changelog of the build but can't identify an entry that seems related to the user creation area.
Thanks a lot to J Lee for reporting this. You're a life saver.
I tried to paste screenshots on here but it seems it is still buggy as per:
Please also fix the new thumbs up issue while you're at it :)
EDIT: thumbs up seems to be working again today huh