Well I never heard a single response from Smartertools on this issue, so hope that isn't showing how support is going to be in the future.
Either way, hopefully this might help someone else. I believe I found a fix for the issue. During an upgrade, any appointment that had a timezone set other then UTC, is what stopped syncing. So, to resolve the issue, login to your webmail interface, go to calendar and click on the appointment to edit. If it's a series of repeating appointments, click on go to series before you edit it. Disable show timezones and adjust the time according to what it really should be, if needed, and save it. I did this to all appointments and so far everything is staying synced to my activesync mobile calendar.
Hope this helps someone else!