Adding your Gmail calendar to SmarterMail as an internet/subscription calendar allows you to keep a "read-only" copy of that calendar within SmarterMail. ("Read-only" means you'll be able to see data from that calendar, but not interact with it.)
NOTE: When attempting to sync a Gmail calendar to SmarterMail, the "Shareable link" found in the Gmail calendar's settings does not provide iCal formatted data, so it will not work when trying to import the calendar into SmarterMail.
To properly import a Google calendar into SmarterMail, follow these steps:
- Log into your Gmail Calendar.
- Select the calendar you wish to subscribe to within SmarterMail, click on the Gear icon and then select Settings from the dropdown.
- In the Settings for my calendars area in the navigation pane, scroll down to the Integrate calendar section.
- Find the Secret address in iCal format setting and click the clipboard icon to copy that address.
- Log into SmarterMail and go to the Calendar section.
- Click the Actions menu and choose Subscribe to Calendar.
- Add a Display Name for the calendar, then paste the copied URL into the Calendar URL. Adjust the Update Interval as needed if you want to pull in Google data more frequently.
- Click the Save button.
The new read-only calendar will be added, and the existing appointments will be imported. The calendar entries will update automatically on the interval specified.