All, we will be releasing an updated BETA in a couple weeks. The BETA should not be used in production. All customers should restore production machines to a test machine and test the conversion process to the new database and file formats. This BETA will solely be testing how the conversion process is working. If you want to make sure your future upgrades work perfectly... this is your opportuinity!
The reason for the delay on this build is because we increased the scope of our conversions. As I mentioned previously, we were going to wait for SmarterMail 18.x to convert certain files but we decided it would be best to do ALL files after seeing some of the benefits.
In addition, were sending a six people to Microsoft for a week to work with Microsoft's protocol engineers. This is being done specifically to review our MAPI implementation. This project has been moving slow and steady but we need some face to face time to make sure everything is perfect.
We have been testing the conversion process internally on some VERY big installations and have had some incredible results. After the initiation conversions we have seen:
A 50% speed improvement in startup time of SmarterMail. This was way beyond what we originally anticipated and will be mostly appreciated on larger installs because in most cases SmarterMail loads almost instantly.
Were seeing a significant reduction in memory as we have eliminated many caches layers that have been added over the years. All database and file access is now running through one caching layer. Were not sure how much of a benefit we will see but on system seeings, user settings, domain settings... its about a 60% reduction. In regards to the mailbox data ... we don't anticipate that dropping much because of all the focus we have put into that over the years.
Since were a couple weeks late, I wanted to provide an update on why and some of the results were seeing.
Were in crunch mode now and the guys are working long hours to make this an incredible release.