Problems with SmarterStats after recent update
Question asked by Randy Armbrecht - April 30, 2014 at 11:39 AM
Answered
we updated our SmarterStats from the v8.4 to the most recent update release of v8.5.5220.  Did all the correct things... stopped IIS; backed up data; performed the update; reset the SSTats service to the unique user account we have always used for this (acct has admin privileges) and restarted service; disabled the built-in internal web server; restarted IIS.  We can login to the web interface with no issues; customers can login to their accounts via web interface with no issues.  And stats are appearing to be obtained correctly.
 
The problem we are having is this error we get every hour or so:
SmarterStats: Server localhost could not be contacted. This occurred while updating the site list. Error was: Access to the path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\SmarterTools\SmarterStats\Service\SiteList.dat' is denied.
The self-diagnostics all come back as passing.
 
We do not touch the SStats server much as far as the SStats software (just not needed), and therefore never get into an automatic "this is what you do from memory" routine.  I do not see where any special permissions in the install directions are needed.  But I must be missing something.

Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance!

Randy A.
 

6 Replies

Reply to Thread
0
Good luck trying to get anyone from Smarter Tools to answer you. I paid the expensive price for  phone support ticket and I have to CONTINUOUSLY bark at them to assist me.
 
I am having the same issue. Once I get this resolved I will post the fix here.
0
Antonio,
 
If I get a resolve I will post back here as well.
1
Grady Werner Replied
Employee Post
That file stores settings for each site so that the service knows how to import things.  If it's not writable, you won't be able to add new sites and actually have them import.
 
A few things to check, in order:
 
First, the SmarterStats service does need full control over the install folder (specifically the service folder and all subdirectories).  It could be that those permissions were reset when the installer did its update.  This is especially true if you changed the service to run under a different user account.
 
Second, I know it's cliche, but a reboot may help.  It's possible the sitelist file got locked and just needs a restart to unlock it.  If you want to investigate this first before rebooting, try running a utility like http://www.dr-hoiby.com/WhoLockMe/
 
Third, if you have an anti-virus, exclude that file.  To prevent loss of data in case of power failure, SmarterStats writes this file by writing first to a temp file, then renaming the old file to a backup, then renaming the temp file to the actual file, in rapid succession.  Your anti-virus may be triggering on the file during these operations and locking it for a scan.
 
Lastly, check to make sure that the read-only flag didn't somehow get set on that file.
Grady Werner
Development Manager
SmarterTools Inc.
(877) 357-6278
www.smartertools.com
0
I have added the User Account that the SStats service runs under to the Service folder with Full perms.  I'll see if this corrects things here after a bit
0
adding the service user account to the "Service" folder with FULL permissions did not help the situation
0
Grady Werner Replied
Employee Post
This bug was fixed in version 8.5.5266 of SmarterStats, which has been made available on smartertools.com for download.
Grady Werner
Development Manager
SmarterTools Inc.
(877) 357-6278
www.smartertools.com

Reply to Thread