Good morning Matthew, and thanks for your patience on this as I was out of the office late last week and then we had the weekend. I was able to complete further testing on the archival indexes as I noted previously. First, I enabled archiving and sent several test messages on the 8th. Then today I sent a couple more test messages, leaving me with an archive including the 8th and the 15th.
To test this I stopped the SmarterMail system service and deleted:
- Current\2021-06-08 folder (to delete all archive messages from the 8th)
- archiveindex_2021_06_08.dat file
I then started the system service back up and did a general search of the archive and found ONLY the mail from the 15th with no signs of mail from the 8th. So, as long as you purge the DAT and folder itself I think you should be able to clean up this archive successfully. Please be sure to get a full backup of the folder before making any changes, and be sure to stop the system service before rolling that out. Have a good one Matthew!
Technical Support Specialist