Applies to SmarterTrack Version 6.x - 12.x
Before installing SmarterTrack in a shared hosting environment, make sure your environment meets the following requirements:
- Support for ASP.NET 4.5 (Versions 10.x and older support ASP .NET 4.0)
- Hosting company allows for Full Trust ASP.NET 4.5 applications (Versions 10.x and older support ASP .NET 4.0)
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005 or higher, MySQL 5.1 to 5.5.13, or Microsoft SQL Server 2005/2008 Express Edition
- Server specifications meet the SmarterTrack System Requirements.
To install SmarterTrack in a shared hosting environment, you will need to complete the following steps:
- Download SmarterTrack files and upload them to your Web server.
- Verify file permissions.
- Set up your database.
- Complete the SmarterTrack Setup Wizard.
Additional details regarding these installation steps are below.
Download SmarterTrack Files and Upload Them to Your Web Server
Follow these steps to complete the first phase of the installation process:
- Download the SmarterTrack shared hosting zip file from the SmarterTrack Download page.
- Then unzip the file to your computer’s hard drive.
- Upload the extracted files to your Web server. If you are uploading these files to a subfolder (such as /SmarterTrack), make sure that this folder is an application starting point. NOTE: For more information on application starting points, please contact your hosting company.
Verify File Permissions
Make sure you set the following file permissions to complete the second phase of the installation process:
- The SmarterTrack/App_Data folder will require read, write, delete, and modify permissions to itself and all subfolders and files.
- The /SmarterTrack/Services folder will require the Execute Scripts permission.
NOTE: If you do not have the ability to change these permissions or if you have questions regarding these permissions, contact your hosting company for assistance.
Set Up Your Database
For help setting up the SmarterTrack database, refer to the SmarterTools knowledge base.
Complete the SmarterTrack Setup Wizard
To set up SmarterTrack for the first time, you will be using the SmarterTrack Setup Wizard. Use a Web browser to navigate to the SmarterTrack URL and log in using the default system administrator (default login is “admin” for both username and password). The Setup Wizard will walk you through the connection and initialization of the database, the activation of the product, initial department and agent creation, and default SMTP configuration. Once these steps are completed, SmarterTrack will be installed and ready for use.
For more information, please refer to the Installation section of the SmarterTrack Online Help.
Learn more about SmarterTrack’s email ticket system and how it will help you improve your customer service.