A good way to ensure that your Google Account stays secured is to enable their two-factor (2 step) authentication. While it helps lock down your account, there are some things you need to do to enable some third-party websites and applications to use your GMail address when it's set up for 2-step authentication.
Before you add any SMTP settings into SmarterTrack, you'll want to do the following:
- Log into your GMail account
- In the top, right corner of the GMail interface, click on your profile picture.
- Click on the Manage your Google Account button.
- Once in your Google Account, click on Security in the left tree view
- In the Signing in to Google box, look for App passwords - go ahead and click that. (NOTE: you may need to re-log into your account.)
- Next, you may see a long list of connected sites, apps, and services- look for SmarterTrack and see if it's listed.
- If NOT, you'll need to add it. Simply click on the Select app dropdown, and select "Other (Custom name)".
- Title your new password something specific - like "SmarterTrack Helpdesk" or possibly something specific to your business or brand, then click Generate.
- This is a one-time password and it can't be recovered. So, be sure to copy it and move to your SmarterTrack management interface. DO NOT close your Google account or click the Done button until you've set up SMTP in SmarterTrack.
- Go ahead and set up SMTP for your brand, or department, using your GMail account. Be sure to enable SMTP authentication and use the new password you just generated for the authenticated account.
- Now, you can test your settings and things should work just fine.
Two-step verification is a great tool, and it's highly recommended for keeping your GMail account secured. However, it does take some tap dancing to make sure that the various apps, sites and services you use can continue functioning after you've set up 2-step authentication. The above steps should get you on your way.
Learn more about SmarterTrack’s email ticket system and how it will help you improve your customer service.