Applies to All Versions of SmarterTrack
SmarterTrack does not contain any mail server functionality itself, and requires an active and usable connection to an existing email server or use of an email service such a GMail, Yahoo! or Outlook.com. If you are having issues sending emails (auto-responders, ticket replies, etc.) from your SmarterTrack help desk, below are some troubleshooting steps for you to follow prior to submitting a ticket to our technical support team.
The first thing to do, if possible, is review the SMTP logs in your installation to see what errors are being thrown. Customers using Hosted SmarterTrack will not have this ability, but for users of an installed version of SmarterTrack, you can find the log by going to C:\Program Files\SmarterTools\SmarterTrack\MRS\App_Data\Logs. Open the most current SMTP log in a text editor and review the SMTP sessions for one or two emails. If there aren't any sessions in the logs, then there is a problem with the connection to your mail server.
Other items to all SmarterTrack administrators to consider are below. (NOTE: the use of the phrase "your mail server" includes the use of personal mail servers or mail services):
Regarding SMTP settings, if you're unsure what settings your mail server or service provider requires, simply ask an IT administrator or contact your hosting company or ISP and ask. If you're using an email service, a quick Google search for "Provider_Name's SMTP settings" should return all relevant results. You can also search the SmarterTrack knowledge base as we have some helpful articles on certain email providers and other email settings.
- Does your mail server require SSL or TLS? If so, make sure those are set in SmarterTrack and the proper port is being used.
- Does your mail server require SMTP Authentication? If so, make sure it is also selected and set up in SmarterTrack.
- Do you have SMTP settings for both your Brands and your Departments? SMTP is required for both as each is responsible for certain types of notifications.
- Ensure your ports are open on the mail server to allow for the connection from SmarterTrack.
- Does your mail server require any special permissions for it to be used by a third-party product? For example, users of Office365 may need to make some changes to allow SmarterTrack to "relay" through an Office365 mail account.
Learn more about the SmarterTrack online help desk and how you can improve your overall customer service.