In order to deactivate a license and revert an installation back to the free edition, remove the license key and activation code from the mailconfig.xml by doing the following:
- Log into your SmarterMail server as the administrator.
- Stop the SmarterMail service. (MailService.exe)
- Using Window Explorer, navigate to the installation folder for the SmarterMail service (by default c:\program files\smartertools\smartermail\service).
- Make a backup of the file mailconfig.xml.
- Open the mailconfig.xml file with Notepad.
- Find and delete these lines:
- Save the file and then close Notepad.
- Start the SmarterMail service.