Individual users can use the mailbox migration tool within the webmail interface to import existing email and collaboration data from most third-party mail servers, such as MailEnable, Open Xchange, IceWarp or Merak, as well as mail services like Yahoo!, Office.com and Zimbra.
Follow these steps to use the mailbox migration tool:
- Log into SmarterMail as a user.
- Click the Settings icon.
- Click on Connectivity in the navigation pane. The Connectivity page allows you to add cloud file storage providers that you can use to link files from in your messages, you can add SMTP accounts, you can view your connected devices...AND you can migrate messages from third party services or other mail servers into your SmarterMail Account.
- Since we're migrating data, on the Mailbox Migration card, click the Migrate button.
- The Mailbox Migration modal appears. Here, you will select which service or mail server you want to migrate data from. Find your appropriate starting point and click on its icon.
- The information required will vary based on the service or server you're migrating from, and in some cases SmarterMail will know information, such as the Server Address you're migrating from. For example, when migrating from Office.com, you'll simply need your email address and password: SmarterMail fills in the Server Address for you. However, if migrating from another email server, such as MailEnable, you'll need more detailed information such as your server address, port number, the Type of migration being performed (POP or IMAP), etc.
- Once you've filled out the necessary information, and selected the items you want to migrate over, the mailbox migration will start. You can track its progress as the data is imported. So now, it's a waiting game. The total time necessary to migrate your data depends on how much data there is, your internet connection and other factors.
NOTE: The mailbox migration tool will only transfer email, contacts, calendars, tasks, and notes (if supported) from a single third-party mailbox to your SmarterMail mailbox.
SmarterMail is typically able to keep date and time stamps when importing from other email server as long as they follow the standard time and date format in the email header. In addition, it may be necessary to make changes to your account, especially if you're importing data from services like Office365 or Yahoo! to allow for mis-named "insecure applications". So, be sure to make any necessary security changes to your account BEFORE you start the migration process.
Finally, there may be a discrepancy in the number of items in the Deleted Items folder after a migration. This is because some email providers, notably those made by Microsoft, don't restrict the type of item that gets stored in Deleted Items. For example, in your Office.com account there may be contacts, calendar appointments, notes, and tasks in Deleted Items. SmarterMail only allows mail messages in Deleted Items, we do not import other item types during a migration.