Regularly backing up your email files is a good practice to keep as it helps prevent the loss of important data in the event of a hardware crash, hard drive corruption, system failures, etc. This article explains which files need to be backed up manually or via a backup solution, such as BackupExec or Veritas. If there is no prior backup solution in place, we recommend following our KB, Regularly Back Up SmarterMail Using RoboCopy
In addition, SmarterMail automatically generates daily backups of the system, domain and user configuration files. Within the Archived Data folders, you'll find today's archives in separate files and zipped files of yesterday's and previous days' archives. The Archived Data folders are stored at:
- C:\Program Files (x86)\SmarterTools\SmarterMail\Service\Settings\Archived Data
- C:\SmarterMail\Domains\[domain_name]\Archived Data
- C:\SmarterMail\Domains\[domain_name]\Users\[username]\Archived Data
Backing up Data
- When backing up a SmarterMail installation, include all .json and .dat files found in the Settings directory of the install path, which is located at C:\Program Files (x86)\SmarterTools\SmarterMail\Service\ by default.
- All SmarterMail domain folders must also be backed up. By default, SmarterMail domains are located in the C:\SmarterMail\Domains directory.
- No registry settings or databases are necessary to back up your SmarterMail install.