Critical error loading domain after update to 8755
Problem reported by Patrick Lewis - 12/23/2023 at 2:06 AM
Being Fixed
After doing the update i checked in the convert-status page and get the following for the 3 domains i have added:
Message: Critical error loading domain (xxxxxx)
Exception: Value cannot be null. (Parameter 'source')
Any hints to what i could check?

4 Replies

Reply to Thread
Brian Bjerring-Jensen Replied
We had that in a previous release afaik.
Douglas Foster Replied
Sounds like an emergency ticket will be a great value in a situation like this.
Employee Replied
Employee Post
Hi Patrick, 

Are the domains showing in the Domains grid as “Failed to load”? In this situation, you would want to review the domains to see if there are any missing or broken files. If nothing obvious stands out, we’ll need to get config-only copies for local testing. 

I’ll send you a ticket so we can get config-only copies prepared. 
Patrick Lewis Replied
That is correct, I was getting the failed to load on the domains grid. I did end up getting it back up and running.
1. Made a copy of the service folder to a temp directory
2. Uninstalled build 8755
3. Fully removed the service folder 
4. Restored the service folder from the previous day's backup
5. Installed build 8747

The domains are now loading again and look to be working fine. Will update the ticket as well so can take a look at what happened to the service config's.

Reply to Thread