For example in MS Outlook 2019, the behavior is this:
- user opens MS Outlook
- first message is selected automatically and is unread, but the email contents are NOT displayed in the preview pane -> this is very good
- this first message is not automatically marked as read
- user can navigate away from that email and it is still not marked as read
- if the user manually, purposefully clicks on the same first unread email, the email contents are shown in the preview pane, but the mail is still not marked as read
- if the user now moves away from that first unread mail, it will become read
This the behavior that we want for WebMail as well. We do not want anything to become unread or read just because it was automatically selected. The fact that the WebMail also previews the first email that is autoselected I think is a problem, but that does not mean that I read the email and it should be marked as read.