Ok so I have a really odd issue I am trying to track down. So we recently updated our SM Enterprise to Version 15.7.6600, yes I know about the CLAMAV update. Have not addressed that yet, will soon.
Anyway, one of my clients sends ACH files to their bank weekly for their payroll, up until the last update there has been no complaints. For some reason, after we applied the 15.7.6600 update, the ACH file gets altered when it's sent through a mail client like Outlook. What happens is the file gets the CR (carrige return) and LF (line feed) charatcers added to the document, which in turn corrupts the file and the bank cannot decrypt the file properly. My client called me and explained the situation to me. So I did some testing and here's what I found and it's really odd:
1. Got a original copy of the ACH file from their machine directly and opened it up with Notepad++ using the "Show All Character" option in the toolbar. No CR or LF in the original document.
2. I have them send the document to me using Outlook. We are hosted on the same server as them. I get the document and open it with the same option, no CR or LF in the file.
3. Same document, same sender, I have them email the document to my GMAIL account through Outlook, open the document and now the CR LF characters are there.
4. Now I have them email the same document to my Gmail account using webmail this time, open the document up and no CR LF characters at the end of file.
So I took this troubleshooting further, I created just a plain text file, put a sentence in it and follow ed the same steps as above but using my Outlook from my office. Steps 1-4 all the same results. Sending email through a email client causes the text file to get altered and when it's sent through webmail directly, it's not altered in anyway shape or form.
So going further to narrow down where the issue might be, I turned off CLAMAV scanning temporarily. Went through steps 1-4 on my Outlook using the same file and had the same results. I shutoff our Remote SA server, CLAMAV and our remote Message Sniffer. Went through steps 1-4 again using the same file I created and had the same results.
So as a workaround for my client , for now they are going to email the document to their bank using webmail, but obviously I need to have support look into this issue. As far as I am aware, this situation started once we installed the 15.7.6600 installation.
As always when we do an update, we uninstall the previous copy, reboot the server if asked and then install the new version. Now here's where this gets really interesting and where I can prove to you that the 6600 update is indeed altering files, our backup server still have version 15.7.6474 installed. I went through the steps of emailing the same text document through our backup server to my Gmail account through Outlook just as before and the text file went through untouched. So there is definitely something up with the version 15.7.6600 that is altering text documents when it should not be.