No such user here
Question asked by Rod Strumbel - December 1, 2017 at 12:47 PM
Answered
Am evaluating SM for possible implementation into our small ISP.
So running latest greatest build from last night 16.3.6543 on Windows Server 2016
 
Have run into an issue during my evaluation where one domain (on a different server) whenever they try and send mail to my SM device, they almost instantly get a response "No such user here".
The mailbox DOES exist they are trying to send to, and if I send to it from a different domain (on yet a different server) the mail goes right through without an issue.
 
Just looking for things I can check with the one failing domain.
Has to be something missing in configuration of the server itself or in the sending domains DNS, but not sure what all things SM is looking for that could produce the "No such user here" message.
 
Thanks for any insight!
 
Rod
 

 

10 Replies

Reply to Thread
0
This occurred for us too since update of SM Version 16.3.6535. However, since then we`ve updated to the latest version of SM 16.3.6544 (Dec 1, 2017), but did not get to test as we`re closed since 29th here (national day prolonged week-end). We`ll see on Monday :)
0
Rod Strumbel Replied
Downgraded to 15.7.6542 - resolved another issue I was having with an EdgeWave firewall detecting REPLIES coming from the SM box as being Viruses and dropping them instantly (something to do with some X- header... EdgeWave wouldn't elaborate as to why it was happening just that by all rights it was working properly).

But, the issue with being unable to send to my SM box from a particular domain continues.

Moving back to 16 and will test the 6544 release this morning.
0
Not sure if you found a solution, here are a few things I now check for weird issues:
Check the domain properties and verify the directory exists, ran into this when I forgot to unlock a drive
Check your MX record
There is an XML record, forget the name, I am afraid to touch it, but it points each domain to a folder.  If you move a directory you need to modify this file.
0
Rod Strumbel Replied
Thanks Patrick, no still no solution.
MX works for all other domains emailing to the server, so I know that isn't it.

I have to believe it is something in the SPAM / AV PRE-testing and some missing record in that domains DNS. Probably SPF or PTR I would guess. Was just feeling around to see if anyone knew for sure what the problem likely is.
0
Have you gone to mxtoolbox.com typed in the domain and looked for problems.

Anything in the Troubleshooting -> SMTP logs? Make sure you do detailed search on the sending email.
0
Rod Strumbel Replied
I hadn't done the troubleshooting option on it, but did now.

Shows 2 BAD items: Missing SPF and Missing DMARC
Then 3 warnings: SOA Refresh, SOA Expire outside normal range and Reverse DNS does not contain hostname.

The reverse DNS thing is common on servers where multiple domains are hosted on a single IP, so that one I can't believe would be the issue.

But the SPF thing... that sure could be.

[...]

So I went in and shutoff the SM / SPF testing in the Anti-Spam... made no difference.

Ugh... I've got a headache, will look at it some more tomorrow.
0
Rod Strumbel Replied
Ok, I've now concluded that this is a message coming from the HOSTING of the domain that cannot email to my SM device.

I shutoff my server (cold power down), and all other servers I am testing with right now so that the email had NOWHERE to go.

I get the exact same failure message back:
No such user here

There is no way any of my machines are sending that message.

Now I have to figure out where that message is coming from.

Always sumthin'
0
Rod Strumbel Replied
So... anyone who runs into this maddening situation... double check this:

The domain on MY server used to reside on the same server that I was having issues sending FROM. When the hosting company released the domain, they left the domain setup in THEIR DNS. So any domains on their servers that were using their DNS hosts (which still saw themselves as authoritative apparently) would resolve to the OLD domain location information on their service.

Anyone OUTSIDE their service would resolve to the proper new locations specified by Global DNS.

Talk about a frustrating round and around we go type situation.

CONSIDER THIS ONE RESOLVED!
0
Rod Strumbel Replied
Marked As Answer
Ok, I'm apparently an idiot...
 
I had by DNS zone setup so that the MX record was directly referencing an IP instead of referencing an A/Host record that then in turn references the IP you want.  This setup works just fine in Microsoft DNS, but when BIND tries to interpret it all hell breaks loose apparently.
 
Switched to the "standard" method of defining the MX record in the DNS zone and now the domain that couldn't access my server, can just fine.
 
Just including that info so that some other poor soul doesn't get trapped in the "but it works from my Microsoft DNS maintained domains".  Sigh...
0
Matt Petty Replied
Employee Post
Thanks for coming back and letting us know. Good to hear you found the problem!
Matt Petty
Software Developer
SmarterTools Inc.
(877) 357-6278
www.smartertools.com

Reply to Thread