Disabling "anonymous" users has zero effect. There is no one connected on those IP addresses by the time they are listed as "anonymous."
The better way to do this is via the ABUSE DETECTION settings, which can be found under:
- Abuse Detection
Here are the settings we currently use for both our own SmarterMail servers, and for the SmarterMail servers we maintain on behalf of customers:
- IP addresses which are trapped are not permanent.
- They will be removed whenever the SmarterMail service is restarted or the server on which SmarterMail is rebooted.
- I have already made a request that these trapped IPs be stored in a "floating" table so they are not lost in those circumstances.
- 65,535 minutes is the largest number of minutes for which a trap can be configured.
- It would be nice if these traps were maintained between service restarts and server reboots
- It would be nice if a longer trap period could be set
- It would be nice if the option of a permanent trap was available.
Phonr: (773) 491-9019
Phone: (224) 444-0169
E-Mail and DNS Security Specialist
Network Security Specialist
Customer Service Portal: https://portal.chicagonettech.com
Security Blog: http://networkbastion.blogspot.com/
Web and E-Mail Hosting, E-Mail Security and Consulting