Support Options section at right side of homepage
Question asked by Michael Woffenden - 11/8/2014 at 11:10 AM
Answered
The homepage of this portal has some nice links at the right side of the page.  Assuming this is not custom code for SmarterTools, how would the average ST user get such as section to show up?

Thanks in advance.

3 Replies

Reply to Thread
Derek Curtis Replied
Employee Post Marked As Answer
Hi, Michael

The SmarterTrack portal uses Zurb Foundation for its design. What that means, very simply (I apologize to any Foundation users if I get some terminology wrong) is that the Announcement area works off a nested grid structure based on rows and columns. By default, there are 12 columns and N rows. So, to modify the Announcement area and get some text on the left and some on the right, you simply specify the number of columns you want your text to flow across. 

For our Announcement area, that means that the Welcome and Social paragraphs span 8 cols and the links on the right span 4 cols - for a total of 12. 

As a practical example, see the below:
<div class="col-sm-8">
<p>This is an introductory paragraph that spans about 2/3 of the page</p>
</div>

<div class="col-sm-4">
<ul>
<li>This list would, then, be to the right of the above paragraph,</li>
<li>And span 1/3 of the page</li>
</ul>
</div>
It's a very simple and powerful way to design. I urge anyone to take a look at it. Here is a link to their Getting Started area that has a section that explains the grid way better than I do...

I hope that helps.
Derek Curtis COO SmarterTools Inc. (877) 357-6278 www.smartertools.com
Michael Woffenden Replied
Thanks Derek!

I was able to get the same layout using the example you provided. It did, however, take considerable CSS tweaking to get the headings to align properly.
Derek Curtis Replied
Employee Post
Glad to hear you were able to get this to work, Michael.
Derek Curtis COO SmarterTools Inc. (877) 357-6278 www.smartertools.com

Reply to Thread