Regarding the graphics question.
I use a product called, "Print Screen." It allows me to select and capture the area I want to copy. It can then be saved to a graphics file or copied into a document.
When using screen shots to respond to these questions, I select the screen region to copy, copy it into Print Screen, and paste it into the response.
Once the graphic is in the composition box, you can double click on the graphic and it will open an IMAGE PROPERTIES box:
The IMAGE PROPERTIES box will allow you to enter alternate text, left, right, or center, justify the graphic in the response editor, and add a caption. Click OK when you have completed your graphic properties modifications.
Regarding your CLAMAV errors:
CLAMAV error connection levels of that magnitude are definitely indicative of an issue.
The first thing I would do is recheck the CLAMAV settings. Here are my settings. There are other options within those settings, too, If you enable "REAL TIME A/V, you can select to IMMEDIATELY DELETE the infected messages or store them for 15 days so they can be inspected and verified. We don't use the real time feature:
In the configuration tab, shown below, make certain you DO NOT have REMOTE SERVER checked.
You should also check your FIREWALL. Remember, outbound ports are randomly assigned, to connect with the appropriate ports for well known services, and, if you are unnecessarily blocking outbound ports this could be creating connection issues for you.
If that doesn't clear the problems, then try rebooting the server on which SmarterMail is installed. It might just clear the issue by resetting and clearing everything.
Failing that, and while I don't believe it will make a difference in the CLAMAV effectiveness, the latest version of SmarterMail 12.X is 12.4.5364. So the question begs: are you on that version? Your original post only indicated, "brand new install of the latest version of SmarterMail."
So, I have a couple of things for your to check:
1. Make certain you DO NOT have DNS CACHING enabled:
2. Make certain you are not running major DNS servers - while your choice of DNS servers will not necessarily affect the ability of CLAMAV to connect and download new virus definitions, running busy DNS servers can cause other problems, especially with antivirus.
3. When you did your last major version upgrade, did you uninstall the prior major version before doing the major version upgrade?
If not, then you may have some of the prior version's files still installed on your server.
If that's the case, the situation is easily resolved by:
- uninstalling the current version (all of your files and data will be preserved);
- rebooting the server, to unlock any locked files;
- reinstalling the most current version, making certain to use the same path you used in the original install;
- stopping, and disabling, the SmarterMail web services - they are used only for initial setup and you should be running under IIS.
Phonr: (773) 491-9019
Phone: (224) 444-0169
E-Mail and DNS Security Specialist
Network Security Specialist
Customer Service Portal: https://portal.chicagonettech.com
Security Blog: http://networkbastion.blogspot.com/
Web and E-Mail Hosting, E-Mail Security and Consulting