Regularly backing up your email files is a good practice to keep as it helps prevent the loss of important data in the event of a hardware crash, hard drive corruption, system failures, etc. This article explains which files need to be backed up manually or via a backup solution, such as BackupExec or Veritas.
NOTE: If there is no prior backup solution in place, we recommend following our KB, Regularly Back Up SmarterMail Using RoboCopy.
Backing up Data
- When backing up a SmarterMail installation, include all .xml and .dat files found in the Service directory of the install path, which is located at C:\Program Files (x86)\SmarterTools\SmarterMail by default.
- All SmarterMail domain folders must also be backed up. By default, SmarterMail domains are located in the C:\SmarterMail\Domains directory.
- If you have custom skins, include the MRS\Skins folder of the installation path in your backup.
- No registry settings or databases are necessary to back up your SmarterMail install.
- When restoring files, make sure the SmarterMail Service is stopped.