One of the benefits of setting up your SmarterMail account using Active Directory as the authentication method is the ability to use the Global Address List (GAL). The GAL is a shared address book that contains contact information for everyone in your organization. As you can imagine, syncing to that makes communicating with others within your organization extremely easy. (NOTE: Images are taken from Outlook for Mac, but they should be similar for Outlook for Windows.)
Syncing the GAL to an account in Outlook is extremely simple. Just do the following:
- Open Outlook.
- From the top bar, select Tools.
- In the ribbon, click on Public Folders.
- A new window opens.
- Click on the account name.
- A list of public folders should appear, one of which is Global Address List.
- Click on Global Address List then click on the Subscribe button.
- You can then go ahead and close that window.
That's it! Now, when you go to your Contacts in Outlook, you'll see a new sidebar option for Subscribed Public Folders. Expanding that selection shows your SmarterMail account, and expanding THAT will show you the Global Address List. If you select ONLY the Global Address List, only contacts within your organization will appear.