A Contact Groups (also known as a Distribution List) is basically a list of multiple contacts stored under a single name. (Similair to an Alias.) Once the group is created, it can be used in the To: field in an email client or when using the webmail client and the message is sent individually to each contact within the group. This saves a user from having to email the contacts separately, one-by-one.
Ideally, Contact Groups can be used for all or specific members of a given department, contacts who work for a particular partner or outside entity, members of a group project or assignment, and more.
When using protocols such as MAPI or EWS these groups offer 2-way syncing. That means that if the Contact Group is created in a desktop email client such as Outlook or eM Client, it will sync back to SmarterMail and show up as a contact. In addition, if the Contact Group is created within webmail, it will sync back to the desktop clients. (Microsoft has not implemented support for syncing Contact Groups over EAS, so they will not sync to mobile clients such as Outlook Mobile.)
Below are the steps for setting up a Contact Group in eM Client, on Windows or MacOS. The nice thing about eM Client is that the way you go about this is basically the same, regardless of your OS. The only slight difference is how the windows/modals look. (NOTE: you will need to have your SmarterMail account synced via EWS in order to sync Contact Groups to webmail, and vice versa. In addition, eM Client calls Contact Groups "Distribution Lists".)
- With eM Client open, navigate to the Contacts area.
- If multiple accounts have been added to eM Client, select the contacts folder for the account for which the Contact Group (Distribution List) is being created.
- Click the down arrow next to the + New button.
- Select Distribution List... from the dropdown. The Distribution list modal opens.
- Add in some relevant details such as the List name and Tag (or Category), if necessary. It's also possible to mark the list as "private", so it may or may not be accessible by any Delegates.
- Next, add in the list Members. Simply start typing a username or email address and eM Client will offer some suggestions. You can simply type out the full email address, or select a contact from the suggestions.
- If necessary, a Note or description can be added to the list, in addition to any attachments.
- Once all contacts have been added, click the Save & Close button.
That's it! You've now successfully set up Contact Group (Distribution List) for your SmarterMail account in eM Client.