NOTE: This KB is for new (i.e., Outlook 2016 and newer) versions of Outlook for MacOS.
Using the instructions, below, you can set up a SmarterMail account in Outlook for Mac. Using these steps, all fields should get populated. However, in some instances the Full Name field may not populate. In these cases, and alternate means for entering that information is provided.
- Open Outlook.
- Open the Tools menu and select Accounts.
- If there are no accounts, click the Add Email Account button. Otherwise, click the + button in the bottom right and select New Account.
- Enter the user's full email address and click Continue.
- Outlook should automatically identify the server as an Exchange server. If it asks you to choose the provider, select the Exchange option.
- Set the Method to "User Name and Password."
- Make sure the user's email is entered in the "Email Address" and "DOMAIN\username or Email" fields.
- Enter the associated password in the Password field.
- Do not populate the "Server (optional)" field. Populating this field will bypass the autodiscover and will not automatically populate the Full Name field for the account.
- Click Add Account.
- If Outlook gives the error "Unable to add account," verify that all fields are properly populated. If the "Email Address", "DOMAIN\username or Email", and Password fields are properly populated, you can try to continue by entering the URL you use to connect to your SmarterMail installation. For example, mail.example.com. Note: This error message could be an indication that the autodiscover for your domain is misconfigured or that your account does not have MAPI/EWS enabled. Please contact your domain or system administrator.
- If the account connected successfully at step 10, Outlook should begin syncing. If the account only connected after providing the optional server address, you will need to manually populate the Full Name field for the account.
Populating the Full Name field
In some cases, an account that was successfully added to Outlook may not display the user's full name properly. In these instances, the Full Name can be entered manually. This field is located in Tools > Accounts, and is under Personal Information. Simply enter the user's full name and save the changes. Whatever is added in this field will be used as the display name as the From: address when sending emials.