This article applies to recent versions of SmarterMail.
Some users have reported an issue logging into SmarterMail within a Chrome browser. The text from the Email Address and Password fields is immediately removed when the field no longer has focus or after clicking on the Login button. The fields show an error of: "This field is required."
We have determined that this issue is caused when using the Chrome extension, Grammarly. In order to log into SmarterMail within Chrome, you will need to disable Grammarly on the login page.
Note that once you are logged in, SmarterMail and Grammarly will work together as expected. Therefore, if you wish to utilize Grammarly for communications within SmarterMail, you will need to toggle the extension off each time you log in. To bypass this necessity, use the Remember Me option to stay logged into your SmarterMail account.
There are two options for temporarily disabling Grammarly:
Add an Exception within Grammarly
Grammarly offers its registered users an easily accessible option for disabling the extension on specific sites. Follow these steps for the quickest and easiest method of temporarily disabling the extension while on the SmarterMail login page.
- Click on the Grammarly icon located in the Chrome address bar. Then log in or sign up for a free account.
- Navigate to your SmarterMail site.
- Click on the Grammarly icon again and toggle the slider to the left to disable "Check Grammar and Spelling on [your SmarterMail site]".
As mentioned above, Grammarly works as expected once you are logged into SmarterMail. Each time you navigate to your SmarterMail login page, use the extension icon to temporarily disable Grammarly. Once you are logged in, use the icon to re-enable the grammar and spell check.
Temporarily Disable Grammarly
If you do not wish to sign up for a Grammarly account, you can follow these steps to temporarily disable the Grammarly extension while logging in:
- Click on the 'Customize and control Google Chrome' button in the upper right corner of the browser. (The button icon is 3 dots stacked vertically.)
- Hover over More Tools and select Extensions. Find Grammarly for Chrome from the list and click on the toggle to disable the extension.
- Navigate back to the SmarterMail tab and refresh the site.
- Enter your Email Address and Password and enable the Remember Me option to automatically log into SmarterMail next time you navigate to the site. Click Login.
- Once you are logged into SmarterMail, you can re-enable Grammarly. Follow steps 1-2 to enable the extension again.