While group chat is a great resource, there are times when simply exchanging text with someone isn't enough. That's where SmarterMail's Team Workspaces come into play! A Team Workspace includes real-time audio and video chat, inline Group Chat, document sharing and an interactive whiteboard. Once a Team Workspace has been created within SmarterMail, an invitation link can be sent to users on your domain as well as guest participants.
For audio and video conferencing, Team Workspaces are integrated with appear.in
. To optimize you audio and video performance, we recommend the following guidelines:
- Chrome, Firefox and Opera are the browsers supported by appear.in. As such, these are the browsers we recommend using with Team Workspaces. For more information, refer to the appear.in documentation for What other browsers do you support?
- If a supported browser shows a notice that it is unsupported, there may be a setting in your configuration file that is incorrect. Please review the following instructions on correcting this issue: Site Doesn't Recognize my Browser.
- In order to utilize video conferencing, your browser must support WebRTC. Use the following site to determine if your current browser version supports WebRTC: https://test.webrtc.org
- Limit the number of browser extensions that are running. In most cases, a quick way to limit extensions is to open an incognito browser window, as extensions do not typically run in ignognito, unless otherwise specified.
- Disable any ad blockers for the SmarterMail domain.
- Ensure you're on a high quality network connection. The faster the network and the higher quality the network connection, the better the appear.in call will be.
Administrators who utilize Team Workspaces in an office environment might also consider equipping all meeting rooms with a network cable, so it is easy for participants to plug in during video conferences. Overloaded Wifi routers is the biggest source of quality issues in appear.in, and plugging in a network cable eliminates this.
For further assistance in optimizing the audio and video components of Team Workspaces, please refer to the appear.in Troubleshooting category