Applies to all versions of SmarterMail
There are two different ways that the webmail interface can communicate with the SmarterMail service over remoting calls. The default is over TCP on 127.0.0.1, port 17001. There is another option called IPC which uses named pipes instead of TCP. If you are experiencing the following error and the SmarterMail service is still running:
System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 127.0.0.1:17001
changing the web interface to run over IPC may resolve the issue.
To configure the SmarterMail web interface to run in IPC mode please follow the instructions below.
- Connect to the server where SmarterMail is installed.
- Navigate to c:\Program Files (x86)\SmarterTools\SmarterMail\MRS.
- Edit the web.config file in a text editor such as Notepad.
- Locate the <MailServiceAddress> tag, it's value should be set to 127.0.0.1.
- Change this value to "IPC". This line should then read <add key="MailServiceAddress" value="IPC" />.
- Save the changes to web.config. This will automatically re-start the SmarterMail service.
Please note that you will need to update the web.config file after any SmarterMail upgrades. So after installing a new version of SmarterMail you would need to perform the steps again.
Learn more about SmarterMail's enterprise email features and benefits.