NOTE: This article is only for experienced system administrators. It is intended as a temporary workaround for mailboxes that experience indexing issues, causing an increase in a system's CPU and/or RAM usage. Ideally it should only be implemented by a SmarterTools Support Representative for troubleshooting issues or for edge cases where high CPU and Memory issues are being diagnosed.
This feature is not currently available in latest versions of SmarterMail.
Applies to SmarterMail 11.x - 16.x
- Stop the SmarterMail service.
- To disable indexing for an individual mailbox, you first need to locate the userConfig.xml file. The default folder path is C:\SmarterMail\Domains\[domain name]\Users\[username].
- Open the userConfig.xml file and look for the line that begins with "enableIndexing." This should be set to "False" for the user to disable indexing for their mailbox.
- If "enableIndexing" isn't in the user's configuration, you will simply need to open SmarterMail, go to that user's account, save any Settings page, and that setting should now be available in the user's configuration.
- Save the changed userConfig.xml file, and re-start the SmarterMail service. Indexing should now be stopped for that user.
Applies to SmarterMail 8.x - 10.x
This feature is not available in these versions.
Learn more about SmarterMail's enterprise email features and benefits.