System administrators can prioritize the remote delivery of messages by assigning priorities to certain messages. System administrators can also set attempt thresholds that trigger a change in the message's priority level. This can be useful if a domain is put on deferred status or if there are routing problems to certain domains.
For example, a system administrator may configure priority settings so that SmarterMail only makes five attempts to deliver a message. If the message remains undeliverable after the fifth try, the message is automatically assigned a lower priority. Similarly, a system administrator may choose to offload temporarily undeliverable messages to a gateway server that processes messages with high priority levels instead of keeping these messages in the primary server's spool by automatically assigning messages a priority of 10 after a set number of delivery attempts. This increases the performance of the primary server, as it doesn't have to keep retrying messages that are temporarily undeliverable.
Applies to SmarterMail Enterprise 8.x - 15.x
Follow these steps to set attempt thresholds for a specific domain:
- Log into SmarterMail as the system administrator.
- Click the Domains icon.
- Select the desired domain and click Edit in the content pane toolbar. The domain settings will load in a popup window.
- Click the Priority tab.
- In the Priority After Attempt 1 field, choose the appropriate priority level from the list and select the Enabled checkbox. NOTE: Priority After Attempt 1 defines the new priority after reaching the number of retries specified in Attempt 1 Threshold.
- In the Attempt 1 Threshold field, type the number of retry attempts the system should make.
- Repeat steps 5 and 6 for the Priority After Attempt 2 and Attempt 2 Threshold fields. NOTE: Priority After Attempt 2 defines the new priority after reaching the number of retries specified in Attempt 2 Threshold.
- Click Save.
For more information, refer to the SmarterMail Online Help.
Learn more about using SmarterMail for your email accounts and company-wide instant messenger.