Plus addressing is a feature of SmarterMail that allows you to automatically filter your incoming mail into folders without first creating a content filtering rule. To demonstrate this ability, please consider the following example of plus addressing
Assume your email address is email@example.com and you want to sign up for a newsletter called ACME News. Furthermore, you want that newsletter to be delivered to a specific folder in your email web interface called "ACME". If plus addressing is enabled on your account, all you have to do is sign up for the newsletter with the email address below:
NOTE: The folder name is AFTER the username but before the @example.com. When the newsletter gets delivered to your email account, it will be directed to the ACME folder, which will be created automatically if it does not already exist. No additional steps are required. In addition, if you include the '/' character in your plus address, you can automatically create sub-folders, as in the following example:
This email address will create a folder called Newsletters, then create an ACME folder under it, and drop the newsletter into the ACME folder.
Applies to SmarterMail 8.x - 15.x
Follow these steps to enable plus addressing in SmarterMail:
- Log in to the web interface as a domain administrator.
- Click Settings icon.
- Expand the Domain Settings and Advanced Settings folders.
- Click Default User Settings.
- Click the Plus Addressing tab.
- Select the Enable plus addressing checkbox to enable the setting.
- Select one of these three options:
- Move to Folder
- Move to Folder (If Exists)
- Leave in Inbox
- Click Save.
- Click User Propagation in the navigation pane.
- Under the Options tab select the user(s) that the settings will be applied to.
- Click the Plus Address tab across the top, select all settings to be applied to the users.
- Click Propagate Now.
Using Plus Addressing to Enhance POP
Usually, POP only retrieves messages from the Inbox folder. Plus addressing allows you to retrieve messages from other folders. For example, when you use "myname+ACME@example.com" as your login name in a POP client, it will return the contents of the ACME folder.
For more information, please refer to the SmarterMail Online Help.
Learn more about using SmarterMail for your email accounts and company-wide instant messenger.