MAPI/EWS is a data synchronization protocol bundle that seamlessly syncs SmarterMail Email, Contacts, Calendars and Tasks with eM Client. (Using the EWS portion of the bundle.)
NOTE: Before you can configure a mailbox to sync using the MAPI/EWS technology, you must activate the MAPI/EWS add-on. For more information, please refer to the KB article Activate MAPI/EWS.
eM Client Limitations
It's also worth noting that on more recent builds of eM Client, the default autodiscover settings for any Exchange account point to Microsoft 365. That means that when using the automated setup of an account, if you're using MAPI/EWS, eM Client will fail to find your account. To work around this issue you need to edit your Registry. Below is a screenshot of the registry entry you need to make. IF YOU ARE NOT COMFORTABLE editing your registry, we strongly recommend you simply set up your email account in eM Client as a IMAP account.
AllowAutodiscoverJson = 0
Once this entry is created, when using the automated setup it will initially default to an IMAP4 account type. In order to get an actual MAPI/EWS account set up in eM Client, you need to manually set it up as a Mail account. Do not use the automated set up.
Follow these steps to set up eM Client to sync using MAPI/EWS:
- Within eM Client, click on Menu then select Accounts from the dropdown.
- Click on the Add account button in the Accounts modal.
- In the "Set up an account" modal, click on the Mail section, then select Exchange.
- Click the Next button.
- On the Server information" modal, enter the following:
Email address: Your full email address
User name: Your full email address again
Password: Your account password
- Click the Next button.
- It is entirely possible that eM Client will fail to find your server settings. If this happens, enter your mail server info when asked. (E.g., mail.your-domain.com). Then, click the Next button.
- Enter your Account details when asked. Generally, leaving this as-is is the best course of action. Then click the Next button.
- Select your desired encryption options for use with eM Client, and click Next.
- Select your Account avatar and Sync Options, then click Finish.
- The new account's info will be displayed. You'll notice that the new account has an "Exchange Web Services" tab -- this ensures your connecting as an Exchange account.
- Click the Save & Close button to finish up and start using eM Client.