SmarterMail now has a built in chat. This can be used by all users of the same domain to keep all communication internal. Any chat client that support this protocol can be used with SmarterMail.
Follow these steps to connect SmarterMail chat using Adium's Setup Assistant:
- When the Assistant opens, it asks you to select a Service. In the dropdown, choose XMPP (Jabber).
- For the Jabber ID, enter your full SmarterMail email address. (E.g., firstname.lastname@example.org)
- For the Password, enter your SmarterMail account password. Hit the Continue button.
- Adium will display some brief text once the connection is complete. Hit the Done button and you should see a list of other users on your domain and you're ready to go!
If need be, you can also set up your account manually. Below are instructions on how to do that.
- Open Adium.
- Click the File menu and click Add Accounts.
- Select XMPP (Jabber) and enter your SmarterMail username and password on the Account tab.
- Click the Personal tab.
- In the Alias field, enter what you want displayed as your name in chat.
- Click the Options tab.
- In the Connect Server field, enter your domain, such as example.com.
- In the Resource field, enter a unique name for the device you're running the client on. For example, "Work Laptop". As the XMPP protocol allows you to connect to your account from multiple devices, being able to distinguish between those devices is important.
- Select the Allow plain text authentication checkbox.
- Click the Privacy tab.
- In the Encryption field, select Encrypt chats as requested.
- Click Done.