On occasion, a system administrator may need to move SmarterMail, and all its domains and data, to a different server. For example, if they are moving their SmarterMail customers to more powerful hardware.
SmarterTools makes it easy by allowing you to have 2 instances of your SmarterMail license running on 2 different servers for up to 30 days. At the end of the 30 days, the "old" license then needs to be uninstalled and should no longer call back to the SmarterTools' licensing servers.
Before starting the move process, add new (lower priority) MX records to your domains in DNS for the new server and allow 24-48 hours for the records to propagate through the internet. This will establish the new server address as an MX, but will prevent mail being delivered to it until you've completed the move.
SmarterTools also recommends ensuring your license key can be activated again before beginning the migration process. This information can be found by visiting the SmarterTools website and clicking on the account icon in the upper right. Once logged in, select Licenses from the dropdown. Select the license being migrated from the list and, if it has used up its allotted activations, a Reset Activations button can be seen.
- If you have SSL or TLS configured on any ports, the certificate being used must be exported (containing the private key) from the original servers certificate store. It then needs to be imported into the new server’s Personal folder within the certificate store.
- If Declude is being used on the original server, you will want to ensure the Declude service also gets setup on the new server prior to the deployment. Failure to install the Declude service on the new server will result in all mail landing in the SmarterMail Spool's Proc folder and will not be delivered.
Follow these steps to migrate a SmarterMail installation to a different server:
- Install the same SmarterMail Build being used on the old hardware on the new server. (NOTE: Legacy Builds of SmarterMail can be found within your account on the SmarterTools website.)
- Set up SmarterMail in IIS on the new server, using the KB article "Set up SmarterMail as an IIS Site in IIS10" as a guide.
- Stop the SmarterMail Service (MailService.exe), and any IIS sites/application pools, on both servers.
- Copy the Settings folder from your old server to your new one. By default that path will be C:\Program Files (x86)\SmarterTools\SmarterMail\Service\Settings.
- Copy the Domains folder from your old server to your new one. By default the path will be C:\SmarterMail\Domains.
- Start the SmarterMail Service on the new server, and any IIS sites/application pools as needed.
- Log in and re-activate the software on the new server.
- If you change the path to your domains, you would need to edit your domains.json file accordingly to reflect the new paths.
- If your IP address or other DNS info changes, update the corresponding setting in SmarterMail and restart the SmarterMail Service (or reboot the server) to make the change effective.