A system administrator may need to move SmarterMail to a different server because they are moving to a more powerful server or changing hosting companies and need to move to their servers. SmarterTools makes it easy by allowing you to have 2 instances of your SmarterMail license running on 2 different servers for up to 30 days. At the end of the 30 days, the "old" license then needs to be uninstalled and should no longer call back to the SmarterTools' licensing servers.
Before starting the move process, add new MX records to your domains in DNS for the new server and allow 24-48 hours for the records to propagate through the Internet. Doing so will help ensure that you do not lose any mail. SmarterTools also recommends ensuring your license key can be activated again before beginning the migration process. This information can be found in the Licenses section of My Account. If a license has used up its allotted activations, a Reset Activations button can be seen.
- SmarterMail data should be migrated to a new server that's running the same build number. Do not follow these steps to migrate a SmarterMail 16.x or prior installation to a new server running the current 100.0.xxxx build. If you wish to upgrade along with your migration, you must migrate to the server then perform the upgrade, or perform the upgrade on the old server then migrate.
- If you have SSL or TLS configured on any ports, the certificate being used must be exported (containing the private key) from the original servers certificate store. It then needs to be imported into the new server’s Personal folder within the certificate store.
- If Declude is being used on the original server, you will want to ensure the Declude service also gets setup on the new server prior to the deployment. Failure to install the Declude service on the new server will result in all mail landing in the SmarterMail Spool's Proc folder and will not be delivered.
Follow this steps to migrate a SmarterMail installation to a different server:
- Install SmarterMail on the new server, including setting up the site in IIS.
- Stop the SmarterMail Service (MailService.exe) on both servers.
- Copy the Settings directory of your install path from your old server to your new one. By default that path will be C:\Program Files (x86)\SmarterTools\SmarterMail\Service\.
- Copy all domains folders from their directory on your old server to the same directory on the new server. By default the path domains are stored in is C:\SmarterMail\Domains.
- Start the SmarterMail service on the new server.
- Log in and re-activate the software on the new server.
- If you change the path to your domains, you would need to edit your domains.json file accordingly to reflect the new paths.
- If your IP address or other DNS info changes, update the corresponding setting in SmarterMail and restart the SmarterMail Service (or reboot the server) to make the change effective.