While installing SmarterMail, an error may appear with an error code of -1603. This article explains how to troubleshoot the problem even if rebooting and attempting to reinstall the software does not succeed.
If this fails to resolve the problem, follow these steps:
- Uninstall SmarterMail if it shows up in your Add/Remove Programs.
- Using RegEdit, navigate to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products
- Click on each GUID in tree under Products until you see one that has a ProductName value of SmarterMail. Right-click on the GUID and export the key as a backup, then delete the GUID from the tree and the subkeys beneath it.
- Run the SmarterMail installer.
- You may be required to reboot.
NOTE: Editing the registry can be a dangerous thing to do if you do not know what you are doing. Before attempting any changes to the Windows Registry, make a full backup of the registry and be sure you are familiar with the process.