By default, SmarterMail allows 50,000 emails in the spool at one time. However, in very high volume email environments, email servers may need to have more than 50,000 emails in the spool. For example, if emails are throttled or delayed due to the remote servers not accepting emails into the spool, this can cause slow delivery for new messages being created since the new emails cannot be loaded until existing emails are sent. To resolve this problem, administrators may adjust the default limitation for the max number of loaded spool messages.
Follow these steps to increase the default limitation for the max number of loaded spool messages:
- In the Administrative Tools > Services panel, stop the SmarterMail service.
- Navigate to the settings.json file. The default install path is C:\Program Files (x86)\SmarterTools\SmarterMail\Service\Settings\.
- Make a backup copy of the settings.json file.
- Edit the settings.json file, and locate the following line:
- Change the value of the max_loaded_spool_messages as needed. NOTE: As you increase the max number of messages allowed into the spool, your system will also increase the amount of system memory being used.
- Save the settings.json file.
- Start the SmarterMail service.