MAPI/EWS is a data synchronization protocol bundle that seamlessly syncs SmarterMail Email, Contacts, Calendars, Tasks and Notes with Microsoft Outlook MacOS.
NOTE: Before you can configure a mailbox to sync using the MAPI/EWS technology, you must activate the MAPI/EWS add-on. For more information, please refer to the KB article Activate MAPI/EWS.
Follow these steps to set up Outlook to sync using MAPI/EWS:
- Open Outlook.
- Open the Outlook menu and select Preferences.
- Click the Accounts icon.
- Click the Exchange icon which will open a new window.
- Enter the users email address.
- Set the Method to "User Name and Password."
- Enter the full email address (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org) as the username.
- Enter the associated password in the password field.
- Uncheck the Configure automatically checkbox.
- In the Server field, enter the URL used to connect to your SmarterMail installation. For example, http://mail.example.com
- Click Add Account.
Outlook is now configured to sync with SmarterMail. The initial sync may take a few minutes if there is a lot of data.
NOTE: For mailboxes that will process and store large volumes of email, it is recommended that they be set up to connect to SmarterMail using IMAP as MAPI/EWS performance suffers when processing large volumes of email.