SmarterMail users can sync their email to the iPhone or iPad's Mail app by configuring an IMAP account. With an IMAP account, you will create a two-way sync between SmarterMail and the device, where all emails folders are synced. This means that when you log into the SmarterMail Web interface, actions you performed within the Mail app on your iPhone or iPad will automatically appear in the Web interface, and vice versa. (If you prefer to set up a one-way sync, where only the contents of the Inbox is downloaded to your device, please refer to our article, Configure POP for iPhone or iPad
Follow these steps to configure a SmarterMail IMAP connection on an iPhone or iPad:
(NOTE: Before you begin, you'll need to know the server settings for your hosted SmarterMail account. We at SmarterTools create the SmarterMail software, but we don't offer SmarterMail as a hosted service. As such, we cannot provide the specific settings that are needed to connect to your account. If you don't know the email settings for your account, you can search online for instructions from your provider. If no instructions can be found online, please contact your SmarterMail provider directly. Once you have access to the settings you need, follow the steps below.)
- On your iPhone or iPad, go to Settings > Accounts & Passwords and tap Add Account. (If you're using iOS 10.3.3 or earlier, go to Settings > Mail > Accounts and tap Add Account.)
- Tap Other, then tap Add Mail Account.
- Enter your name, email address, password, and a description for your account. Tap Next. Mail will try to find the email settings and finish your account setup. If Mail finds your email settings, tap Done to complete your account setup.
- If Mail can't find your email settings, then you need to enter them manually. On the IMAP tab, enter the information for Incoming Mail Server and Outgoing Mail Server. Note that this is the information you'll need to retrieve from your email provider. If you're not sure who manages your SmarterMail account, contact the SmarterTools sales team for assistance. We may be able to determine who is hosting your SmarterMail account and point you in the right direction. You can also try the following setup:
- The Hostname is generally the same for the incoming and outgoing mail server, and it usually takes the form of mail.yourdomainname.com.
- For the Username, be sure to enter your full SmarterMail address.
- The Password is the same password used to access webmail.
- Then tap Next.
If your email settings are correct, tap Save to finish. (If the email settings are incorrect, you'll be asked to edit them. To troubleshoot a failed connection, please contact your SmarterMail hosting provider.)
Once the IMAP account has been established, your SmarterMail email folders will begin syncing to the Mail app, and you'll have a two-way sync between your device and SmarterMail account.